Welcome, Kia Ora, Talofa Lava, Malo E Lelei, Ni Sa Bula Vinaka, Fakalofa Lahi Atu, Kia Orana.
Welcome to Sir Edmund Hillary Collegiate Junior School.
Sir Edmund Hillary was an outstanding New Zealander and we are deeply privileged in having his name as our school name. Sir Ed was a man of exploration and adventure and he has been called a hero but I think what was truly heroic was the way he used his fame to help others especially the people of Nepal. Now your child is about to begin their own great learning adventure. Starting school is a major event in your child’s journey to independence and maturity.
Our values are at the heart of our Collegiate and were chosen by our students, families and staff:
- Whanaungatanga - is about relationships, family and your child learning to be part of our school whanau. Through relationships we will learn from each other .
- Excellence - is about striving to do your best in all that you do.
- Respect - is focused on caring for self, so that you can show respect by also caring for others.
With these three values you can reach any goal, and even climb the highest mountains, as Sir Edmund did.
Additionally the Junior school has the following specialist classrooms on top of English classrooms:
- Maori Medium class: Te Waka Ora Yr1 - Yr6
- Lumanai: Samoan Bilingual classes offering dual learning in Samoan and English.
- Sistema: Students learning musical instruments with the support of Otara Music Arts Center.
This website is designed to help you get a feel for our school and some of things that we offer, but if you want to know more about something the best thing you can do is come in and see your child’s teacher or me. I have an open door policy which means if you need to talk I’m here. I look forward to meeting you and working with you to make your child’s time here fun and full of learning.