- Excellence – by having high expectations and persevering in the face of difficulty.
- Whanaungatanga – by working with all for a common good of cultures, languages and the environment.
- Respect – by respecting learners, teachers and ourselves.
- ‘It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.’
- ‘People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.’
- ‘You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things — to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals.’